This article was written by Jeroen Van Ark, our Manager of Operations in Holland.
“Very often I think I know a city like the back of my hand. However, it isn’t until a good DMC comes along to prove that I’m wrong’ said one of our guests Ryan Hebert after the FAM trip we organized with Leading Hotels of the World.
Elevating FAM Trips to Create Ambassadors
Ovation Holland was asked to organize a FAM trip together with the four beautiful properties of Leading Hotels of the World in the Netherlands:
- Okura Hotel (Amsterdam)
- Conservatorium hotel (Amsterdam)
- Hotel de L’Europe (Amsterdam)
- Des Indes (The Hague)
Normally, the goal of these trips is to make event planners familiar with what your destination has to offer for their next event. However, we wanted our guests to leave our country as true ambassadors for Amsterdam and The Hague.
Often, people believe that creating personal and impactful experiences requires a splurge of money. But what really makes a difference is having the right connections and the attention to details, even with a limited budget.
Wowing Guests with Memorable Experiences and Fine Details
Our main priority was to make our guests feel special and immerse them in experiences they would have never thought of if they came to Amsterdam on their own. Among others, here are some of the highlights of the trip:
- A visit to the beautiful event space the LOFT, where we enjoyed breakfast with the skyline of Amsterdam as our backdrop
- Having a three-course served lunch during a relaxing cruise along the canals
- Visit Panorama Mesdag (this museum is famous for its 14-meter high panorama painting – which makes you feel you are on the beach back in the 19th century)
- A visit to the Maritime Museum, with a tour and a beautiful served lunch in their event space overlooking the VOC ship in front of the museum
The big wow moments, as described above, are very nice to incorporate in any program. However, it often happens that the small details end up having the biggest impact and leave a powerful impression. In his feedback, one of the guests referred to one of those impressions:
‘It was the personalized details that added the “Wow Factor” for me. When arriving on the Canal Boat for a lunch tour and seeing our group photo from the day before on the menus, I was in awe.’
Looking back to the FAM trip we can conclude that the recipe for a successful FAM trip is based on a mix of:
- Strong connections with the local suppliers
- Engaging activities
- Seamless execution of all logistics
- A personal touch and genuine conversations
Finally, we asked the Senior Director of Group Sales with LHW, Patrick Smith, how he felt about the FAM trip we have organized;
‘My team and I have hosted groups of clients to the Netherlands for similar trips in the past with other DMC partners and this was by far the best.”
Everything you touched was outstanding. From suggesting activities, to communication, to actual execution. Everyone was very impressed with you and the overall experience.
“I would recommend you as a professional and your services with Ovation without hesitation to any clients seeking DMC services in your region.”
All the best – Ovation Holland team