This Month…we want you to be the Chef!!
Talking about Seville and all its secrets…let’s go beyond the typical and well-known for everyone.
Do you bring yourself to cook a traditional & local recipe served in bars in Seville? Cheer up, put on your apron and your chef’s hat well accompanied by Spanish background music to be in the cooking mood. Here we have two easy recipes. Let’s do it!
Serranito is a kind of Sandwich you could find in Seville and overall Andalusian provinces. Due to its simplicity and easy preparation + the tasty flavour, it makes the Serranito be present in any kind of festivities and local bar in Andalusia.
Ingredients for 2 persons:
- 6 slices of Pork loin (can be replaced by chicken)
- 2 Long Green pepper
- 4 slices of Serrano Ham or Iberian Ham
- 2 sandwich bread, like a baguette or Kaiser bread.
- 1 tomato
- ½ little glass of Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Steps for the recipe:
- Put the olive oil in a frying pan and then the green peppers. Once the peppers are fried, keep them separately in a plate.
- Remove the olive oil from the pan and then put the slices of pork loin to grill with salt and pepper. One they are grilled, keep them separately together with the peppers.
- Put the slices of Serrano or Iberian ham in the pan to grill them.
- In the meanwhile, you can heat the bread. Be careful not to toast them!
- Peel the skin of peppers and all the seeds inside.
Now, it’s time to create the Serranito.
Put first the peppers, then 3 slices of tomato, the 2 grilled pork loin slices and then, at last, the 2 slices of Serrano or Iberian ham.
The O recommendation: put inside some aioli sauce (garlic and oil dressing) or mayonnaise, serve with French fries and accompany with a cold sangria or a beer.
In a second step and to keep enjoying the Andalusian’s cuisine, we recommend you to prepare your own Adobo.
The “Adobo” has its origin in Andalusia and it consists of the immersion of raw food in a marinade composed by different ingredients.
The most typical is the “Cazón en adobo” which means “marinated dogfish”.
As we know dogfish is not an easy ingredient to find in all market, you could do the same recipe with other fish like hake or swordfish. The fish needs to be thick. Do not worry about that, the secret is in the marinade 😊
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 500g of dogfish or similar. Ask for a thick slice.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin in powder
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 leaves of Laurel
- 1 glass of white vinegar
- Flour (to coat the fish)
- Olive or Sunflower oil to fry
Steps for the recipe:
- Clean the fish by removing the skin and bones. Cut it into bite-size pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Peel the skin of 2 garlic cloves and crush them together with the salt and cumin powder. Then add the oregano, the paprika, the leaves of laurel in pieces and finally the vinegar.
- Mix all ingredients and turn it over the bowl with the fish pieces and complete with water until practically all fish is submerged. Keep it in the fridge at least 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, take the fish pieces and dry them with an absorbent kitchen paper. Roll them in flour and fry the fish in a pan with plenty of hot oil and 1 clove of garlic unpeeled.
- Put the fish on a large plate with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil before serving.
The O recommendation: accompanied by a fresh salad.
Discover more Spain insights here. Contact us!