Ovation Portugal DMC had the opportunity to meet with Alexandra Baltazar, Lisbon Convention Bureau Manager and we want to share with you, her thoughts and suggestions for this city and the country. Alexandra has gave us an interesting interview to look inside Portugal and her career through the tourism industry. She is in this industry representing her country for many years, so who better than her to talk about one of the most excited destination in the south of Europe? A very easy going conversation to discover the professional and the person.
- What are the 3-main words you would use to describe yourself
Passionate, stubborn, hard worker
- You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What colour would you be and why?
I tend to wear black every day, so black, the new black :). I am loving blue as well, guess I am inspired by our awesome blue skies.
- What do you find most challenging in your career?
Always thriving to do better, keeping the edge
- What do you think about when you’re alone in your car?
I walk…. looking at people, enjoying details I never seen or paid attention before. Enjoying the moment.
- What is the best thing about your work?
Loving Lisbon and my job makes everything easier. I really feel empathy with Turismo de Lisboa project and this year we are celebrating 20 years.
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why?
Giraffe or gazelle, my nicknames when I was growing up.
- Did you have any mentors or people who deeply influenced your career?
I am very lucky. My former colleagues and Good Friends Enca Mello and Ana Sarmento Pinto – whom I met in NY. Enca Mello works at the National T Board in NYC for more than 40 years. She is amazing.
My former Directors – Frederico Costa, Élia Rodrigues, Miguel Malheiro Garcia, Eduardo Souto Moura.
My Directors – Paula Oliveira and Vitor Costa.
The Portuguese people – we are a Great Nation.
- Proudest moment in your career to date?
Happy to say many… my first Press trip to Portugal with a Group of American journalists – what a challenge.
Making the decision to return to Portugal and start a new project at Turismo de Lisboa. I felt so welcomed. It Has been an honour working here with this Group of people always trying to do the best for Lisbon.
- Favourite band(s)?
- Professional that you admire and why?
Many but the ones mentioned above.
- Favourite destinations?
Lisbon, NY, Florence and Paris.
- What are the most important highlights people should not miss when they visit Portugal?
Interact with us, the locals. Try our fish and if possible the sardines and seafood. Wonder around and get lost in the traditional quarters of Lisbon. Walk on the riverfront. Sail in the river. Go to the fishing village of Ericeira…
Thank you very much to Alexandra and Ovation Portugal DMC for the great opportunity to meet and discover a wonderful professional from our industry living in the south of Europe. We wish you all the best!